The client is one of the largest producers of cement and aggregates, with over 70000 employees spread across the globe, and a turnover of around CHF 26 billion.
The client had acquired two of the largest cement companies in India, and as part of their plans to leverage technology for growth, decided to implement Salesforce for their customer-facing needs, which included sales, marketing, technical Services and customer support.
The deal was one of the largest for Salesforce in India at that time (2011), and Lister was the partner of choice for the implementation, given our reputation as a partner for complex and large deployments. Between the two companies, there were close to 2000 users with over 1300 field sales and field technical services professionals.
The company was selling most of its products through an extensive dealer distributor network across the country. The key challenges faced by the company included:
- Lack of a single application as a source of truth for Sales and Marketing teams
- Disparate applications including Excel sheets for field visits, that were difficult to leverage for customer-facing roles
- Delays inflow of information from HO to field and from field to HO, causing delays in decision making in a very dynamic market
- Difficulty in tracking sales team productivity and efficiency
- The sales team did not have easy access to information about their dealers and distributors during field visits
Most of this was applicable across all countries in APAC. So it was decided to start with India and then expand the scope to other APAC countries.
We had a joint session with stakeholders to discuss on approach, and given the level of readiness, we decided to go with a phased approach with incremental features rolled out every 3 –6 months.
The initial rollout was to users in India, done over 3 phases in a year. Subsequently, it was rolled out to 6 APAC countries over the next two years in multiple phases. Since then, Lister has been the vendor of choice for all Salesforce projects and support, and the engagement has been continuing since 2011 to date.
- There was excellent adoption of Salesforce within the first three months, and overall adoption rate was above 95%
- Although we had to implement the same within a terse timeframe, and with a tight budget, our teams delivered beyond expectations every time
- 30% increase in market coverage due to productivity and efficiency improvements in the sales teams
- The standardisation of the base solution and the ability to customise the application to local needs was built into the solution. This enabled great flexibility and reuse of functionality.
- Merger and demergers also took place over time in some of their countries, and Lister handled merger and harmonisation of Salesforce orgs as well as the demerger of orgs.