Information systems, an application very central to their ecosystem and critical for their operations. However, this application was also a part of its ageing infrastructure: it was picked up as a target system for modernisation so that it could be standardised into the rest of the infra modernisation program.
The Corporate Information & Security system that Lister had been asked to modernise was built on a Legacy technology. At that point, it was approaching the end of life and desperately required a tech upgrade.
- The following were the key points highlighted by the product owners.
- Provisioning delays for users.
- Tighter integration missing with enterprise systems.
- Performance, scalability and maintenance issues
- Lacklustre usability and UI experience for preference system
- No documentation to understand the existing application functionality
- Existing users lacked a complete understanding of the application
- Lister team built out a comprehensive program of discovery to reverse engineer application to build a functional and non-functional understanding.
- Custom training capsule was created for Lister associates & customer teams engaged in application migration.
- Technology consulting was provided on the choice of the tech stack, design for scale, throughput, and security.
- Cutting edge technology was recommended on NodeJS, ReactJS, RESTful services with a multi-tier services-based architecture
- Lister team defined future scalability requirements and benchmarked the application for peak season onboarding and future scaling to multiple locations.
- Defined a plan and Integrated all end-points of the application with the rest of the ecosystem, managing API and throttling & transmission limitations.
- Provisioning time reduced from 28 hours/wk to 7 hrs
- Application deployed across 21 locations and can scale to 1 million users.
- Documentation helped generate new product roadmap
- The icing on the cake? In-sprint automation with over 92% coverage was added